Saturday, January 15, 2011

Its been ages I'm sorry.




OK so I royally suck at this whole blog thing, I swear I think about it all the time but then I decided to go to bed instead because sleep well it sounds better at midnight then typing.  When I last checked in it was just a week or two out of boot camp, so life has definitely settled into a much more into a predictable rhythm.  I started school about the second week of November and hope to be out of ATT (Advanced Technical Training) by the end of February at the latest.  From there its on to A school which super far away.... way across the road in the next building that is lol.  Then figures crossed I will head to San Diego for my last bit of training in the land of sun.



















But as for the here and now; school keeps me pretty busy.  We are in self taught group paced classes (basically I stare at a blue computer screen that has this technical language that I'm suppose to teach myself, while trying to keep up with the geniuses in my class).  Classes run Monday through Friday with weekends off, and work days (days we stand watch in our barracks) every 4 days.   For people like me who learn a little bit slower there is "open learning"  essentially study hall that is offered after school gets out.  I spend alot of my time there.  My days begin at approximately 0430 and end around 2300/2400, about 6 to 10 hours a day is spent in school, and the rest of it is free time (unless its a working day).   The weather is cold to freezing and we have about 6 inches of beautiful snow.  I miss the sunshine, clear days are rare and when we have them it means its more on the freezing end of the temperature scales which means you bundle up a whole lot more and kinda avoid being outside. 





Free time is spent between the galley, the Samuel Adams Club, the gym (more would be better) and and the occasional nap, and on weekends I head out to Chicago or any other place that is not on this base when ever possible.  I do love the city. Its huge with beautiful buildings and amazing site's and full of friendly mid-west people (now if I could just find a way to stop the wind lol).  I even have a few places that my group of friends and I could soon be called regulars at. Yesterday I jumped the train and did a little exploring by myself, discovered what might be my "need to get away from everyone" spot; cute stores, good food, Boards and Barns and Noble and a movie theatre.  Oh yeah I didn't mention that, right off base just across the street is the depot for the train to take you into the heart of Chicago, its just about an hour ride, and cost like 5 bucks round trip hard to beat that.  Plus as military we can get into a ton of the city attractions for FREE!!!!  I've already been the the Sears tower tower twice (oh wait they renamed it the Willis tower but everyone will tell you that it will always be the Sears)  A few of us actually tried to climb to the top all 103 stories of it but they wouldn't let us..... something about the stairs being for emergencies only, we promised if the alarm got pulled we would turn around and head back but that didn't seem to convince them.  Tomorrow we are headed in to watch the Seattle and Chicago game, wearing Seattle colors and jerseys.  I fully expect to be yelled at :)


 




















The last duty(work) day before stand down ( think Christmas break) was spent making Ginger bread houses, or in my case ginger bread sleigh. For two weeks over Christmas I got to fly back to Boise and spend time with my family and friends, it was just what I needed. A little time to catch up on some sleep, some TV and some of normal life.  Have to say I was blessed girl.  Mom bought me a new to me Burton board and boots, I went snow boarding on Christmas, a week spent with my best friend Erica and her family ( my nieces whom I love and miss dearly) and last but not least I finally got my first tattoo, the tattoo that I have been planning for about ten years now.



















Its on my Left side upper Rib cage, the lettering
spells out Peace in Hebrew.












well that about you all up to date, in a nut shall at least. I hope you all are doing well and please let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything in particular you want to know.




lots of love, Erin.

View from sears tower during the day

Sears tower at night





No comments:

Post a Comment